Support Wikipedia

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Another Random Thought

I am almost certainly not the first Toronto resident to have made this connection after Burns' night, but nevertheless:

I live on Glencairn Avenue which is very close to Eglington Avenue. That's one street named after one of Burns' most ardent supporters and another after Burns' childhood playground. It may be coincidence, but I know many streets, roads, pubs, landmarks and towns all over the world are named after Burns or take inspiration from his poems in some way or another. Maybe the Torontonias tried to be subtle while doing just that.

3 comments:

GreenOnion said...

haha evidence at how the Irish have taken over the world: the presence of an Irish pub in every town :-)

yogababy said...

:), Burns was Scottish, but you do have a point.

GreenOnion said...

see and I know that. I spent 10 years highland dancing at Robbie Burns nights. My pride makes me want to delete that comment and hide my shame, but I know I should face up to my own ignorance...

whos.amung.us