Support Wikipedia

Thursday, February 5, 2009

To Thine Own Self Be True

One of my friends, who shall remain nameless, goes in heavily for the emo/senti psychobabble that seems to be everywhere. Bless her for that. I mean, who am I to judge !?! I have my own eccentricities. I do have a problem, however, with her - or any other similar minded person - dispensing weird advice when it comes to how to cope with the various trying periods in my life. The worst one is "Just be yourself". That one just pisses me off. It seems to indicate that, for some unknown reason, I actively chose my current lifestyle - that of a guy who is (as of today, 05 February 2009) out of shape, very awkward socially, with few friends, no girlfriend, no real job and still struggling through school (of the grad variety). Does it seem at all likely that I would, of my own volition, go for this !?!

What I, and people like me, really need is some guy in a white coat sitting us down and saying, "Listen, you gave being yourself a fair go for, umm, how long has it been... 27 years !?!... yes, 27 years. And it's done you a buggerload of good. Look at that cardiac surgeon over there - he's got a great job, lovely wife, lovely kids, a big house, a fancy car and oodles of money in the bank. He's in great shape, eats well, sleeps better, goes on holidays, does the social thingy, and generally lives his friggin' life. Try and be a bit more like him."

3 comments:

GreenOnion said...

I think you're a lovely person. Besides "he" is probably cheating on his comatose wife with his secretary or something else from a 1950's daytime drama

Yogababy said...

Why thank you.

Incidentally, you seem to be harboring a considerable amount of resentment against this poor surgeon.

GreenOnion said...

I had a bad experience...

That's a lie

whos.amung.us